Sunday, November 30, 2008

OPEN YOUR MIND CASE 2: K’NAAN

K'naan has lived a life that most of us only read about in the papers or observe on media giants, CNN or BBC. Not many of us can make claims to calling out the United Nations (Despite their fine Italian suits/ they still can't hide the ghastly truths) at a UN convention in Geneva; or describe how he felt as he embarked on what would be the last commercial flight out of poverty-ridden Somalia.This musician, rather than rapper, talents have garnered him opportunities with the likes of Mos Def, Dead Prez, Pharoahe Monch, and Damian Marley (see the pattern). His music is a clever entwining of hip-hop and his African roots with a global aesthetic. Despite his worldly approach and clear message, I found his voice and delivery to be tiresome at times. Despite this shortcoming, K'naan is worth listening to;for example, in If Rap gets Jealous, he rhymes,

"...I'm poor, a refugee been in prison and survived a war /I come from, the most dangerous city in this universe/ you're likely to get shot at birth, so how could rap quench my thirst? / I don't even hear verses no more/ I hear jerking off punks with lip glosses and purses/ I don't see nobody operating shit anymore I see nurses..." This is one of the many gems that could be found on K'naan's, The Dusty Foot Philosopher.

TURN OFF THE RADIO!

Knaan- If Rap Gets Jealous

No comments: