Friday, February 12, 2010

His Name is Wale… Bawoni?

I have never been a strong listener of my semi namesake Wale’s works. Perhaps it’s because I don’t think he has fully tapped his lyrical potential instead opting to take the Lady Gaga pop star route. So when my sister told me to check out his video for My Sweetie, which from what I understand was released in reaction to the backlash the rapper received after putting out Pretty Girls, I wasn’t particularly interested. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally watched it, not only does if feature beautiful women but Wale effectively channels his Nigerian spirit. The hook itself reeks of local Nigerian crooning…Who say I don’t rep I’m Naija all day/ When I meet your mom I am gonna still dobale… (Ha Classik…that’s if u understand)

No comments: