Friday, June 26, 2009

MJ

The moment I heard that Michael Jackson had passed, like most I was caught unawares; my thoughts and prayers immediately went to his family, and this was instantaneously followed by a barrage of questions like what was to become of his three kids? his estate? These poignant thoughts were quickly supplanted with happier memories of me emulating the King of Pop while growing up, You know I’m bad, ‘I’m bad-you know it. To my knowledge, I don’t think there has ever been a single individual who could have experienced the many highs and lows that this talented yet disturbed icon had; from a very young age his life had the makings of a tragic movie. There’s no denying the influence and or reach the King of Pop, silver glove in tow, had on popular music, contemporary R&B and Hip-Hop. As with most losses of well-liked figures, their deaths become popular topics of discussion. Michael’s case is no different, and while talking to some heads of whose opinions I value, certain things were brought up; for example, 2009 will surely be a year that will be remembered by Black folk because of certain momentous events, and now Michael’s death will be added to that list. Interestingly, another friend also alluded to Questlove’s of The Legendary Roots Crew tweet yesterday, dayum!! mj 6/25, aaliyah 9/25, static major 2/25, left eye 4/25, JB 12/25, farah & mj 6/25… A numerologist might have to look into the significance of these numbers if any…

In memory of Michael Jackson I have included some tracks from JJ Brown’s ‘07 project, Re-Release Therapy. This project meshes Ludacris’s accapellas from 06’s Release Therapy with Jackson Five samples.


TURN OFF THE RADIO!


JJ Brown (Ludacris & J5: Re-Release Therapy)- Grew Up A Screw Up/Reach In

JJ Brown (Ludacris & J5: Re-Release Therapy)- Money Maker/ Pride & Joy

JJ Brown (Ludacris & J5: Re-Release Therapy)- Ultimate Satisfaction/ I Want To Take You Higher

JJ Brown (Ludacris & J5: Re-Release Therapy)- War With God/ The Wall


No comments: